Monday, August 27, 2012

Amanuensis Monday: Fred Belair's Postcard

An amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

My paternal grandfather Fred Belair (1889-1991) was known as Pépère to his grandchildren. (Pépère is a French slang word for grand-père meaning “grandfather”.) Pépère loved to travel. It probably started when he went to the USA in 1912 in search of work. He travelled until he was in his early 90s.

Fred Belair Postcard to Belair Family (front view)

The postcard in undated, but I think it was written in the spring of 1975, because he asks about “the girl”. (I assume he means me and the time I went to Quebec City with the high school band.) On this occasion, Pépère has gone to visit his son (my Uncle Ray) and his family in British Columbia. The postcard, which interestingly is not postmarked, is addressed to my parents and my sister, brother and I (Mr + Mrs M Belair and famely [sic]). 

Well here i [sic] am
every thing is fine 
here Was in Vancuver [sic
yesterday how is Jackiy [sic]
next hope you are
better are the girl [sic]
back from quebec

Love to all
Dad
Hope B.C.
R R # 2
Fred Belair Postcard to Belair Family (back view)

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.