Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Three Degrees of Separation

I’ve accepted today’s "mission" from Genea-Musings’ SNGF. This time, it’s Three Degrees of Separation, in which:

1)  Using your ancestral lines, how far back in time can you go with three degrees of separation?  That means "you knew an ancestor, who knew another ancestor, who knew another ancestor."  When was that third ancestor born?

2)  Tell us in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this blog post, in a status line on Facebook or a stream post on Google Plus.

Here’s how I did.

My Belair line: Me (born 1958) – I knew my paternal grandfather Fred Belair, because he and my grandmother Julie lived on the same street as my family did when I was growing up. Fred (1889-1991), son of Pierre and Angélina (Meunier) Belair, knew (briefly) his maternal grandmother, Louise Drouin (ca 1832-1890), daughter of Pierre and Reine (Poirier) Drouin. Louise died in Ste-Cécile-de-Masham, Quebec four months after Fred was born there. Louise, in turn, knew her maternal grandfather Joseph Poirier (1777-1840), son of Joseph and Marie (Charbonneau) Poirier. She was baptised in St-Benoit, Quebec where Joseph lived all his married life and where he died when Louise was about 8 years old.

After this genealogical exercise, I find that I knew an ancestor (Fred Belair), who knew another ancestor (Louise Drouin), who knew another ancestor (Joseph Poirier). These three degrees of separation connect me back to a man who was born in 1777 – 181 years. Interesting …  

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.