Friday, October 12, 2012

Famous Relatives: Justin Bieber

I previously wrote about how the Dionne Quintuplets and I are fourth cousins. Yesterday, I found that I’m related – distantly – to Justin Bieber. He’s my 10th cousin once removed through our common ancestors Jean Elie dit Breton (ca 1621-1699) and his second wife Jeanne Labbé (ca 1641-1715).

I used the tree shown at “Baby, Baby, Baby” – Justin Bieber, Ryan Gosling and Avril Lavigne Are Related on Ancestry.com’s blog to see from which ancestors we descend.

That tree shows how Justin, actor Ryan Gosling and singer-songwriter Avril Lavigne are related through Mathurin Roy and his wife Marguerite Biré. Mathurin and Marguerite don’t seem to be my ancestors (not that I’ve found, so far), but I did notice a familiar surname among their descendants: Eli[e] dit Breton. I soon found the connection: Jean-Baptiste Eli dit Breton (Justin’s 6th great-grandfather) is 3rd cousins with Marie-Angélique Bissonnet (my 5th great-grandmother). Jean-Baptiste and Marie-Angélique are therefore descendants of Jean Elie dit Breton and Jeanne Labbé.

The table below shows how Justin Bieber and I are related. He descends from Jean and Jeanne’s eldest son François (1672-1735), while I descend from their younger son Pierre (1676-1760). (By the way, can anyone tell me how I can ensure that the lines I draw connecting one person’s name to another person’s name remain when I copy and paste my article (composed in MS Word 2010) into Blogger? The lines connecting Jean and Jeanne to their sons François and Pierre don't seem to import like the table does.)

Jean Elie dit Breton m. (2) 1669: Jeanne Labbé

François Elie dit Breton (1672-1735)
Pierre Elie dit Breton (1676-1760)
Jean Elie dit Breton
Thérèse Elie
Jean-Baptiste Elie dit Breton
Louis Bissonnet
Jean-Baptiste Eli dit Breton
Marie-Angélique Bissonnet
Charles Eli dit Breton
Marie Josephte Adam
Gilbert Breton
Josephte Messier
Joseph-François-Amédée Breton
Olivier Vanasse
Marie-Alphonsine-Germaine Breton
Olivier Vanasse
Estelle Germain
Julie Vanasse
Diane M Henry
Maurice Belair
Patricia Mallette
Yvonne Belair
Justin Bieber



I haven’t yet checked to see how I might be related to Ryan Gosling and Avril Lavigne, but there could be a connection through Ryan’s Dion ancestors and Avril’s Séguin ancestors.
  
Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

4 comments:

  1. Woohoo, I'm related to Justin Bieber!!!
    Very cool indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I made your day, Marianne!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to find connections to famous people, especially someone who is currently living. Justin is really big right now too!!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.