Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankful Thursday: William Addams Reitwiesner

This past Monday was the second anniversary of the death of William Addams Reitwiesner. He succumbed to cancer on 12 November 2010 in Washington, DC; he was only 56 years old. William, who worked at the Library of Congress, was a self-taught genealogist who compiled royal, noble, and political genealogies.

We first met in the Usenet newsgroup alt.talk.royalty in 1996. We then met in person in the summer of 1997 when I went to Washington, DC to do royalty research at the Library of Congress. William was very kind to me, helped me with my research, showed me where the best royal genealogy material was located at the LOC, and toured the city with me. He also gave me a microfiche copy of his monumental work Matrilineal Descents of European Royalty. One afternoon, we met with another a.t.r. member, Noel, and had our photo taken before going out for supper.

William Yvonne and Noel 1997
William, Yvonne and Noel, 1997.
William kept in touch over the years, and even asked me to help with the French-Canadian portions of some of his research on the Duchess of Cornwall, Angelina Jolie, and Shania Twain.

I’m thankful for having known William. I learned a lot from him about royalty, genealogy, and research methodology. I used to tease him that he probably forgot more about royal genealogy than I'd ever remember. I still miss him today.

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.