Tuesday, December 04, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy – Week 49: Research Location

Which genealogy research location or city brings a smile to your face? What makes this place special to you? What family history treasures does it hold for you? Why should others visit this place?

For me, the research location or city that brings a smile to my face is Ottawa – my nation’s capital city. But, Ottawa is more than Canada’s capital, it’s also a very special city, because it’s here where my father was born, it’s where I studied, and it’s where relatives lived and still live today.

It’s also where I spent a few days researching at the National Archives of Canada (except back then it was known as Public Archives of Canada) and at the land registry office (to see if there was any truth to my paternal great-great-grandfather owning the lands on which Canada’s Parliament buildings stand).

One of the most important family ‘treasures’ that Ottawa holds for me is St-Jean-Baptiste Church. This Roman Catholic parish church on Empress Avenue is where my grandparents Fred and Julie were married in 1926 and where their first child – my Dad – was baptised in 1927.

Ottawa is a fantastic place to visit. There’s Parliament Hill (with free guided tours of the Centre Block), the National Gallery of Canada, Rideau Hall (the official residence of our Governor-General), museums, the spring Tulip Festival, universities (including U of Ottawa, where I studied in the early 1980s), historic ByWard market, the Rideau Canal (boat cruises in the summer and ice skating in the winter), and so much more!


Rideau Hall Ottawa Ontario September 1918
Rideau Hall (Sept. 1918)
(Photo source: William James Topley / Library and Archives Canada / PA-009280.)

Copyright © 2012, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.