Friday, February 01, 2013

Friday Photo: Expectant Mothers

On the first two Fridays of each month, I showcase a family photo and answer the “who, what, when, where and why” of that picture. The first week’s Friday photo is taken from my side of the family and the second week’s Friday photo is chosen from my husband’s side of the family. (I got the idea for this column from Amy Coffin’s ebook The Big Genealogy Blog Book advertised on her The We Tree Genealogy Blog.)

Sisters Jacqueline and Normande Easter 1958
Jacqueline (left) and Normande, 1958

Who:
My mother Jacqueline (Jackie) and her younger sister Normande (Norma), in their early 20s.

What:
Mom and Aunt Norma are each expecting their first child – me and my cousin Brian. I was born that July and Brian that September.

When:
Since Mom and Aunt Norma are wearing hats and gloves, suggesting they are dressed for an event, I’m guessing it’s Easter Sunday (April 6th) 1958. (There’s another photo in this series that is date stamped “Apr 1958”.)

Where:
The photo was taken at Mom’s father’s home in Blue Water, near Sarnia, Ontario, Canada.

Why:
As soon-to-be mothers, Mom and Norma probably thought it would be great fun to be photographed. It was also one of their last opportunities to be together before Mom and Dad moved to Timmins, which is about 617 km (383 m) north of Sarnia.

I love this photo because it shows my Mom and Aunt as young, healthy, beautiful women, who will soon be mothers for the first time. It’s only one of two photos that I have showing my Mom as an expectant mother.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful capture of one of the happiest times of their lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing how happy my Mom was at this special time of her life. Thanks for commenting, Karen!

      Delete
  2. I love this! The happiness on their faces is so apparent! My sister in law and I were both expecting at the same time, due a month apart, and it was such a great experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing like being to share this kind of experience, is there, Michelle?

      Delete
  3. Delightful!!!
    A cousin and I were "expecting" our last babes together and they were born about a month apart. *Note to self - find that photo, Catherine* :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing that photo on your blog one day, Catherine!

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.