Friday, February 08, 2013

Friday Photo: The Old Men and the Sea(weed)

On the first two Fridays of each month, I showcase a family photo and answer the “who, what, when, where and why” of that picture. The first week’s Friday photo is taken from my side of the family and the second week’s Friday photo is chosen from my husband’s side of the family. (I got the idea for this column from Amy Coffin’s ebook The Big Genealogy Blog Book advertised on her The We Tree Genealogy Blog.)

Bill Demoskoff on the left and Nick Cazakoff in the mid-1970s
Bill Demoskoff (left) and Nick Cazakoff, mid-1970s

Who:
William (Bill) Demoskoff and his brother-in-law Nick Cazakoff (my husband’s father and maternal uncle, respectively).

What:
Bill and Nick are gathering seaweed from the ocean beach. (Bill holds a bag, while Nick uses a pitchfork to put the seaweed in the bag.)

When:
In the mid-1970s, presumably in the autumn.

Where:
The photo was taken in Tsawwassen, near Vancouver, British Columbia.

Why:
My parents-in-law used seaweed as a fertilizer in their vegetable garden.

My husband likes this photo, because it shows how hard-working and energetic his parents were. Bill and Ann would drive from their home in Grand Forks, BC to the Lower Mainland coast (a seven hour journey) to visit family and to collect seaweed. Ann’s brother Nick and his wife Edna (who lived near Tsawwassen) used seaweed in their large garden and believed in its benefits. This photo is an example of Bill and Ann pairing a family visit with a trip to the beach.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. I like what you are doing here. What a wonderful way to share old photos and give them meaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leslie! I've really enjoyed looking at my family photographs to gain a deeper understanding of what's in them since I started this column last December for my blog.

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.