Thursday, February 14, 2013

Treasure Chest Thursday: Petit Valentin

I don’t think I kept any Valentines given to me when I was in elementary school in the 1960s. But, I do have a Valentine (it’s about 28 x 21.5 cm or 11 x 8½”) that I made in Grade 3 at Ecole St-Charles in Timmins, Ontario that I gave to my parents. (Thanks, Mom and Dad, for keeping it all these years!)

I don’t have any memory of colouring the little flowers, outlining the heart shape in red crayon, or gluing the heart-shaped red paper doily. I don’t even remember writing, in what looks like my best cursive penmanship, the little poem. My teacher, Mademoiselle Blanche Desjardins, must have had a copy of the poem on the blackboard for us students to copy.


Handmade Valentine
Valentine made at school, 1967 

Here’s my translation of the French text:

Little Valentine,
Go along this good morning,
Carrying kisses
To loved parents.
One, to my mother,
Because I love her so.
The other, to my father
Who I do not forget.
Soon on their way
They travel briskly
Carrying kisses
To those who are loved.

Happy Valentine’s Day, everyone!

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful to still have the valentine you made for your parents so long ago. I didn't keep any valentines given to me during my childhood either. Your post gives me hope that my parents have saved some of the cards I made for them. I need to call today and find out. Thanks for sharing and Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your phone call works out for you, Queen! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.