Tuesday, May 21, 2013

2 Down, 4 To Go: My Genealogy Bucket List

According to Urban Dictionnary, a “bucket list” is a list of things to do before you die.

green bucket

When I compiled my genealogy bucket list last year, I didn’t realize how soon I’d get to complete two items on my list. I can now check off two wishes and work towards the remaining four.

Yvonne’s Genealogy “Bucket List”

1. I want to visit the places where my Dad lived as a child. I want to see if the streets he lived on still exist in Ottawa and Montreal. I also want to visit Chapeau, Quebec where his mother Julie was born and where her parents had a farm.

2. I want to visit the Quebec cemeteries where some of my ancestors are buried, like the ones in Ste-Cécile-de-Masham (for the Belair side) and Chapeau (for the Vanasse side).

3. I want to research at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, because it has genealogical material from around the world in that one location.

4. I want to meet Elizabeth Shown Mills, one of today’s distinguished genealogists and historians.

(On May 8th, I attended Miss Mills’ “The GPS in Action” lecture at this year’s NGS Conference, and afterwards went up to the podium to ask her a question.)

5. I want to attend a national genealogy conference like the National Genealogical Society’s annual conference. Doing so would give me a chance to meet with other people who share my interests, to hear professional speakers, and to learn about new techniques, methods and resources.

(My husband and I flew to Las Vegas, Nevada on May 7th to attend our first (and hopefully not our last) NGS annual conference. It was everything I thought it would be – I met lots of people, I heard awe-inspiring speakers, and learned current and valuable information. I enjoyed my time there so much (we were there until May 12th) that I didn’t want to leave!)

6. I want to move back to Ontario in eastern Canada so that I can be close to the towns where my parents lived, close to important libraries and archives where I could research, and close to where I grew up and lived.

Tell me ... what’s on your genealogy bucket list?

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.