Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tuesday’s Tip: Measuring Up


A couple of days ago, I came across a new-to-me blog: Moments in Time, A Genealogy Blog. It had an interesting article from July 2012 titled How Tall Were Your Ancestors?

The blog’s author Diana gave examples of resources that mention our ancestors’ physical characteristics, including height: draft registration cards, passport applications and passenger records.

I know how tall some of my ancestors were; for example, my paternal grandfather Fred Belair was 5’6”, while my maternal grandfather Eugène Desgroseilliers was 6’7”. My maternal grandmother Juliette (Beauvais) Desgroseilliers was only 5’2”, and I think (I don’t know if anybody ever told me) that my paternal grandmother Julie (Vanasse) Belair was about 5’4”. (She was a bit shorter than Pépère Fred, based on photographic evidence.)

It occurred to me that one day my descendants might want to know how tall my family members were, so I decided to be ready for them. Three years ago, when most of my family was gathered for Thanksgiving in October 2010, my husband Michael and I measured us. I recorded the information and later made a print-out, which I store in my genealogy files.

Here’s how we ‘measured up’.

Rank
Name
Height
1
Jason
5’ 11½”
2 (tie)
Michael
5’ 11”
2 (tie)
Raymond
5’ 11”
3
Angela
5’ 10”
4
Nicholas
5’ 8⅞”
5
Jacqueline
5’ 8”
6
Marianne
5’ 6”
7
Yvonne
5’ 4”
8
Nenita
4’ 9”
9
Jonathan
4’ 0”

So, when you’re at your next family gathering, be sure to have a measuring tape with you and record your family’s heights and preserve those details for future generations!

(Image source: "Matrioshka" from Openclipart at http://openclipart.org/)

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. Yvonne, I love this idea! I have military records for a lot of ancestors, so it would be interesting to see how the different families stack up. Getting info on the females will probably be harder. I think photos might be my best source.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it, Kathryn! Let me know how it works out for you :)

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.