Saturday, July 20, 2013

Society Saturday: British Columbia Genealogical Society

Logo of the British Columbia Genealogical Society

A couple of days ago, I joined the British Columbia Genealogical Society.

I thought about becoming a member in the past, but didn’t. I felt that since my ancestors were mostly from eastern Canada (Ontario and Quebec), it didn’t make sense to join a genealogical society based in western Canada.

I also believed that the Society didn’t have much in the way of resources for someone like me of French-Canadian ancestry. As it turns out, the BCGS has quite a lot of Quebec material, as I pleasantly discovered this past Thursday.

Every year in July, the Society hosts an open house and library week at which the public can use – for free – its library books, periodicals and databases. The event runs this year from July 14th to 20th (it ends today). I’d never been to the BCGS library so took the opportunity to go with a friend and my husband.

After we signed in, a volunteer gave us a tour and explained where the various materials were located (there are two floors). We then looked at books, checked out their databases, and I made a few photocopies. In all, we spent about three hours there.

The best part for me was seeing the range of materials for French (Quebec) research: books like Dictionnaire généalogique des familles du Québec des origines à 1730 (by René Jetté), Our French-Canadian Ancestors (by Thomas J. Laforest) and Dictionnaire Généalogique des Familles Acadiennes (by Stephen A. White); periodicals like Mémoires (of the Société Généalogique Canadienne-Française) and L’Ancêtre (of the Société de Généalogie de Québec); and databases like the R.A.B. [repertory of baptisms, marriages and burials] of the PRDH.

As we were about to leave, my husband suggested I become a member of the BCGS. The one-year individual membership is $45, but after the volunteer explained that since it was Open House Week, the membership is valid until December 2014 instead of the usual current calendar year. Factoring in other benefits (borrowing privileges from the library, the Society’s quarterly journal, special offers and discounts, and more), it was too good of a deal to pass up!

If you want more information about the BCGS, visit their website at British Columbia Genealogical Society.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the BC Genealogical Society, Yvonne. It was great to meet you in person the other day. I've added a link to your blog on my own, CanadaGenealogy, or, Jane's Your Aunt: http://www.canadagenealogy.blogspot.ca/ and if it's ok with you, we'll add a link on the BCGS.ca website too.

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.