Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Book of Me – Prompt 3 – Describe your physical self

The Book of Me, Written By You is a newly-created project by Julie Goucher at Anglers Rest. As Julie says, “It is about a personal journey; a journey of rediscovery of yourself and perhaps your loved ones through your eyes”. You can participate through her blog or through GeneaBloggers. For more information, see here.

Prompt 3: Describe your physical self.

• Your size – clothes size

Humm… my size, eh? Not sure I want to share this bit of detail, but I’ll start with my height. I’m on the short side, 5’ 4¾”, but when I fill out forms or talk to people, I usually round up my height to 5’ 5”. I take a size 9½ in footwear, sometimes a 10, depending on the style of shoe. Clothes, well, that depends on the brand and the style, but I usually wear a L or XL.

I have pierced ears, which I got when I was about 18 or 19. I had them done at Peoples Jewellers not long after the store opened in my hometown in the late 1970s. I was a bit curious about pierced ears back then, but wasn’t really sure I wanted to get some and thought it would hurt. One day while at the Mall, Mom and I walked casually into Peoples. After a few minutes, she told me to sit down and get my ears pierced. (Mom didn’t really force me, though. She probably knew I wanted them, but couldn’t make up my mind, so she ‘helped’ me make a decision.) It barely hurt and I couldn’t figure out why I ever worried about the procedure.

I’ve worn eyeglasses ever since I was nine years old. It was common practice back then at my elementary school to do a basic vision test at the start of the school year and one day in Grade 4, my fellow students and I had our eyes were checked. The public health nurse must have given me a slip to take home or perhaps she informed the teacher who then contacted my Mom. Not long after, I had an after-school appointment to see Dr. James Chisholm in town, an optometrist my parents knew. All I remember about that initial appointment was trying on different styles of eyeglasses, liking a particular pair very much, and wanting to walk out of the store with them. It was quite a surprise to be told that the frame I had on didn’t contain real lenses and that I’d have to wait a few weeks before I’d get my prescription eyeglasses. I think that first pair were cats eye-shaped frames, nerdy but fashionable in 1967.

• Scars

I have a small scar on my upper right arm just above my elbow. I still remember how I got it, too. I was walking in Sears department store in Chilliwack, doing some shopping just before my wedding in August 1989. I walked into a clothing rack (I guess I wasn’t paying attention) and scratched my arm. I felt so upset about this little accident, because I didn’t want a scar to show on my wedding day. Over the years, the scar seems to have reduced and today it’s not as long or as visible as it used to be.

I also have a few chicken pox scars that I got from scratching myself when I had that illness as a teenager, but the couple I used to see on my face have faded over time and the others on my back have faded, too.

• Eye colour

Brown. Always been brown. Love my brown eyes. I don’t really remember my maternal grandfather Eugène Desgroseilliers (being only two years old when he passed away), but Mom used to tell me of when we'd visit him he’d rock me and call me affectionately “Ma p’tite poule noire” [my little black chicken] because of my dark eyes and hair.

• Draw your hands

I’m pretty sure I must have drawn my hands for art class in elementary school and later on when I used to do crafts with my son Nicholas when he was a little boy. I wouldn’t normally think of drawing my hands today as an adult, but it sounds like a worthwhile activity for genealogy and the Book of Me.

• Finger Prints

I’ve never had my fingerprints done officially or for fun. My husband Michael has, though, for his security clearance when he worked for a national telecommunications company. Our son Nicholas was also fingerprinted as part of a safety program when he was a child. I might get out some ink from my scrapbooking supplies and do an impression for posterity, though.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting that your son was fingerprinted for a child safety programme - I've never heard of that before. I wonder whether it happens here in Australia. When my house was burgled, police took my prints so they would know that the others belonged to the offender. (They caught him, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you weren't a 'suspect', Judy :) The programme, Child Print, was hosted by the IOF Foresters, and was a free public service in our community. The RCMP did the fingerprinting and parents received a card to keep.

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.