Saturday, November 16, 2013

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Show Us Your Visited States and Provinces Map

It’s Saturday, so time for another “Saturday Night Genealogy Fun” at Genea-Musings!

Tonight's challenge is mapping the places we’ve visited in Canada and the USA. Randy asks the following questions:

1) What states in the USA and what provinces in Canada have you visited or lived in?

2) Either list, or make a map of them (at the http://www.defocus.net/visitedstates/us-canada.html website) and indicate the following:

* red for states/provinces where you've not spent much time or seen very much.
* amber for states/provinces where you've at least slept and seen some sights.
* blue for states/provinces you've spent a lot of time in or seen a fair amount of.
* green for states/provinces you've spent a great deal of time in on multiple visits.

3) For extra credit, you could make a map to show where your ancestors resided at any time (e.g., in 1900), or perhaps where your 16 great-great-grandparents or 32 3rd-great-grandparents married, or where your ancestors were born, all with an appropriate legend.

4) Tell us, or show us, your "Where I've been" map, and any other map that you created having fun tonight. Put them in your own blog post, on Facebook or Google+, and leave a comment on this blog post so that we all see them.

Here are my maps:

I was born in Ontario, but lived most of my adult life in British Columbia. I’ve travelled to all the Canadian provinces, except the Maritimes, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

I’ve been a fair amount to Washington State, because it’s only an hour or so by car from where I live. I travelled through (and slept in) Oregon on the way to California for Christmas vacation in the early 1980s, and have been to Idaho, Montana and Texas with my husband. (I’d go with him for short stays for his work or training courses in those states.) I’ve also been to Nevada a couple of times (earlier this year, I attended the 2013 NGS conference in Las Vegas) and I travelled through Maryland on my way to visit a childhood friend who lived in Pennsylvania. I spent a couple of weeks in Washington, DC, where I did genealogy research at the Library of Congress back in the 1990s. Last but not least, I’ve been to New York once, where relatives and I spent a few hours doing cross-border shopping one year. (I’ve forgotten the name of the town that had a great mall, but it was close to Cornwall, Ontario.)


Map of Canada and USA where I've lived and visited

Getting extra credit sounds great, so I also did a map to show where my great-great-grandparents lived when they married. (The time frame is 1845 to 1874.) One couple lived and married in Russell County, Ontario (shown in red), while the rest (seven couples) lived and married in Quebec (shown in green).


Map of Canada where my great-great-grandparents lived and married in the mid-1800s

Done in my own blog post and I’ve left a comment at Genea-Musings!

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.