Friday, December 06, 2013

Friday Photo: Winter Buddies

On the first two Fridays of each month, I showcase a family photo and answer the “who, what, when, where and why” of that picture. The first week’s Friday photo is taken from my side of the family and the second week’s Friday photo is chosen from my husband’s side of the family. (I got the idea for this column from Amy Coffin’s ebook The Big Genealogy Blog Book advertised on her The We Tree Genealogy Blog.)


Robert and his brother Raymond in the winter of 1959
Robert and Raymond, 1959


Who:
Robert (left) and his elder brother Raymond.

What:
My maternal cousins Robert and Raymond stop playing in the snow long enough to have their photograph taken.

When:
The photo is date stamped “FEB 1959”, but it could be anytime from December 1958 to February 1959.

Where:
On the street in front of my cousins' home in Kirkland Lake, Ontario, Canada.

Why:
This photo is part of a group of outdoor snapshots taken at my Aunt Madeleine and Uncle René’s home. Based on those images, it must have been a nice, clear, but cold winter day. My Mom and I (and presumably my Dad) were visiting for a few days, and since the weather was good, someone suggested taking pictures.

I just love this wonderful photo, because it shows my cousins when they were young, fun and full of mischief. My family lived about 1½ - 2 hours from Kirkland Lake, so it wasn’t too difficult for Mom and Dad to pack me (and later my sister and brother) into our car and make the journey to see our out-of-town relatives. We always had a good time with my Aunt and Uncle and their brood of eight children: Richard, Michel, Raymond, Robert, Jean-Paul, Lise, Patrick and Gérard.

Copyright © 2013, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.