Saturday, January 04, 2014

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What's Your Ancestor Score?

It’s Saturday, and Randy over at Genea-Musings has issued another challenge for his readers!

Tonight’s challenge is “What’s Your Ancestor Score?” and here are his five easy steps to accomplish it:

1) Determine how complete your genealogy research is. For background, read Crista Cowan's post Family History All Done? What’s Your Number? and Kris Stewart's What Is Your Genealogy "Score?" For comparison purposes, keep the list to 10 or 11 generations with you as the first person.

2) Create a table similar to Crista's second table, and fill it in however you can (you could create an Ahnentafel (Ancestor Name) list and count the number in each generation, or use some other method). Tell us how you calculated the numbers.

3) Show us your table, and calculate your "Ancestral Score" - what is your percentage of known names to possible names (1,023 for 10 generations).

4) For extra credit (or more SNGF), do more generations and add them to your chart.

5) Post your table, and your "Ancestor Score," on your own blog, in a comment to this post, or in a Facebook Status post or Google+ Stream post.

Here’s my ancestor score:

A couple of years ago, I determined how complete my genealogy research was. I published it in a family genealogy newsletter I sent to my relatives, but never posted it in my own blog once I started blogging; now’s my chance to share my ancestor score with my blog readers.

The table’s been created since mid-2012. I have my ancestry in a Microsoft Word document, and counted the numbers by looking through that document.

Here’s the finished table:


Yvonne's ancestor score table


• Number of total known ancestors = 846 (I’m not included in this total.)
• Number of total possible ancestors = 1022 (I’m not included in this total.)
• Percentage of total known ancestors = 846/1022 = 82.7% (I’m not included in this total.)

I can prove 83% of my ancestors in the last 400 years. I’m fortunate that I have identified such a high percentage of my ancestors, but that’s probably because most of my ancestry is French-Canadian and traceable in Quebec as far back as the early- to mid-1600s.

I’ve posted my table and score in my blog and left a comment at Genea-Musings!

Copyright © 2014, Yvonne Demoskoff.

1 comment:

  1. This is interesting. Congratulations on having such a filled-in tree.

    Taking two grandparents from one tree that I know of, I can get similar numbers.

    http://thomasgardnerofsalem.blogspot.com/2014/02/numbers-again.html

    It would be interesting to find out who has large numbers for generations beyond ten. For many of those in the Great Migration book, there is no origins provided.

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.