Saturday, April 26, 2014

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your "Real Life"

It’s Saturday, and Randy over at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge for his readers!

Tonight’s challenge is: Your "Real Life”.

Randy asks his readers to “tell us about your "real life" hobbies or interests outside of genealogy and family history research […]” and to “write a blog post of your own, respond with a comment to this post, or write a Facebook status post or a Google+ Stream post”.

I had to think about it this for a minute; I mean, do I have a “real life” beyond genealogy? :-)

I sure do! Here is a sampling of how I spend my time when not doing genealogy:

Scrapbooking – I love to scrap photos and stories of my son Nicholas when he was a little fellow, but I spend less time on this hobby than I used to.

Royalty – I used to devote many hours to researching and compiling royal and noble family trees, and was active in Usenet newsgroups like alt.talk.royalty in the 1990s and early 2000s. I even created a royalty website, but haven’t (I’m sorry to admit) maintained it for some years.

Reading – I have eclectic taste in books, but my favorites are biographies, history, and topic-specific works, like Tiaras, Past and Present, by Geoffrey Munn (2002) and The Pencil: A History of Design and Circumstance, by Henry Petroski (2000). I have quite a collection of royalty books that are stored in IKEA bookcases in the spare bedroom in the house; when people see this room, they call it my library. The oldest book I own is an 1886 edition of Almanach de Gotha. This genealogical book has 1104 pages, and measures a petite 13 x 9 cm (about 5 x 3½").

Television and Movies – My husband and I are big fans of old Sherlock Holmes movies (the ones starring Basil Rathbone) and the Granada Television series starring Jeremy Brett. During our trip to London in 2008, we toured the Sherlock Holmes museum on Baker Street. We also love to watch Agatha Christie TV adaptations, in particular the Hercule Poirot series with David Suchet.

Family – I love being with my family, so I take as many opportunities to invite them for the holidays, birthdays and anniversaries. Since we all love card and board games, we also tend to get together on weekends for poker or Scrabble, Pictionary and Rummoli.

Art and Music – Living in a small town doesn’t stop Michael and I from driving 1-2 hours to nearby cities for events like concerts (we recently saw “The Nylons”, Canada’s a cappella group) and art exhibits.

How do you spend your “real life"?

Copyright © 2014, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.