Monday, April 07, 2014

The Ragu Challenge: 3-2-1 CITE!

I’m participating in Dear Myrtle’s 3 – 2 – 1 Cite: The ‘Ragu’ Challenge. It’s where you take 3 documents, write about them in 2 paragraphs, having to do with 1 event, and make sure you “CITE those sources”.

For the 1 event, I chose my grandmother Julie (Vanasse) Belair’s date and place of death.

Here are the 3 documents with their sources:


1. Julie’s death certificate.
Death certificate of Julie Belair

Source: Province of Ontario, death certificate, no. 1967-05-012379 (1967), Julia Bélair [sic]; Office of the Registrar General, Thunder Bay.

2. Julie’s burial record.


Burial record of Julie Belair

Source: Julia Vanasse burial certificate (extrait du Régistre des sépultures) [extract from the burials register] (1967 burial); issued 1988, Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes Catholic Church [now Notre-Dame de la Paix], Timmins, Ontario; privately held by Yvonne Demoskoff, [address for private use,] Hope, British Columbia, Canada.

3. Photograph of Julie’s gravemarker.


Gravemarker of Fred Belair and Julie Belair

Source: Fred and Julie Belair gravemarker photograph, 2007; digital image, supplied by Joan Laneville, [address for private use,] Timmins, Ontario, Canada, 3 September 2007. Joan asked her daughter Carol to photograph her parents’ grave marker and then email a digital copy to her niece Yvonne.

The 2 paragraphs:

My paternal grandmother Julie died on 19 March 1967 in Timmins, Ontario, Canada. The above three records provide this information. I ordered my grandmother’s death certificate in late 2008 and received it by mail on 12 January 2009. It states my grandmother’s name and her date and place of death. Other details include her marital status, her age, and when her death was registered. The certificate, a certified extract from her death registration, was issued by the Office of the Registrar General. Some twenty years earlier, I sent a letter to my former parish church in Timmins asking for a copy of Julie’s burial record. The church’s secretary replied with a certified extract that gives the date and place of my grandmother’s funeral. The extract also provides her date of death, but not place of death. The last record is a digital photograph showing my grandparents’ gravemarker. My grandfather made the arrangements for the marker. Later, when he passed away, his elder daughter, my Aunt Joan, had his name and dates of birth and death added to it.

One record provided both the date and place of death, while the other two records stated her date or year of death. I believe that the death certificate is the one with the most genealogical weight, because it is more complete than the burial record and the photograph. Although errors could have crept in all three records (for example, an incorrect year of death engraved on the marker), all the records are in agreement with each other.

Last but not least, I’ve posted my article on my blog and I’m going to also share it on DearMYRTLE's Facebook Group.

Copyright © 2014, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. Well done! I'm working on my own Ragu 3-2-1 Cite! post, but I'm still in the working phase. I've never done sources before! So, this is a great time to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing sources can be challenging, but hang in there, Dana. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.