Wednesday, May 07, 2014

NGS 2014 Conference & Live Streaming

LVH, venue of the NGS 2013 Conference

Last year at this time, I was in Las Vegas, Nevada attending the National Genealogical Society’s annual Conference. It was my first time at such a high-caliber conference and I was super excited about being there.

This year, it’s a different story. I’m at home and not at the NGS 2014 Conference that’s currently happening in Richmond, Virginia. But, not to worry, because a couple of months ago, I registered for one of two live streaming tracks that NGS is offering.

It’s the first time that “NGS has provided a portion of the conference to NGS members and others across the United States and overseas”, so I’m thrilled at this opportunity.

I signed up for “Track One: Records and Research Techniques” happening tomorrow afternoon and Friday morning. (“Track Two: Virginia Resources and Migration Patterns” was also available, but not having Virginian ancestry, I didn’t sign up for it.)

On Thursday May 8, Elizabeth Shown Mills talks about “Using Evidence Creatively: Spotting Clues in Run-of-the-Mill Records”, and Thomas W. Jones talks about “Can a Complex Research Problem Be Solved Solely Online?”.

On Friday May 9, there’s “Using NARA’s Finding Aids and Website” with Pamela Boyer Sayre, followed by “Disputes and Unhappy Differences: Surprises in Land Records” with Sharon Tate Moody, and then “’Of Sound Mind and Healthy Body’: Using Probate Records in Your Research” with Michael Hait.

Many thanks to NGS for being so forward-thinking by providing (and at a reasonable cost, in my opinion) the chance to enjoy some of the 2014 Conference from the comfort of my home!

Copyright © 2014, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.