Friday, August 15, 2014

Follow Friday: Italian Canadians as Enemy Aliens

Flag of Canada

Flag of Italy

Earlier this week, I was searching for some background information about another subject when I came across a new-to-me website called Italian Canadians as Enemy Aliens: Memories of World War II

Not only is this a website I’ve never come across, but it also deals with a topic I’ve never considered – that some Italian Canadians were considered enemy aliens in the 1940s. I learned that during World War II, “31,000 were designated as enemy aliens. They were fingerprinted, photographed and ordered to report monthly to the police; about 600 were interned in remote camps”. [1]

One thing that caught my eye almost immediately after being on the site for just a few seconds was the Internee List. It can be searched by “Name” or by “Location”. I don’t believe I know anyone personally in the list, but I did recognize the surname Mascioli, because it was a well-known business family in my hometown of Timmins, Ontario.

For those with a general interest in this subject, the website is worth a visit for learning more about the Italian Canadians’ experience during World War II. For those with a genealogical interest, it might be very useful for finding names of relatives or ancestors during this time frame.

Source:

1. “About Us”, Italian Canadians as Enemy Aliens: Memories of World War II (http://www.italiancanadianww2.ca/static_pages/freeformpage/footer_about_us : accessed 12 August 2014).

Copyright © 2014, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.