Monday, February 22, 2016

FINALLY Get Organized! 14th-20th Feb 2016

Finally Get Organized graphic

Blogger DearMYRTLE wants to help genealogists get organized for 2016. She proposes a weekly set of tasks to help us achieve our goal. Ol’ Myrt explains that “Each week's post will feature options for paper and digitally-oriented genealogists, with an eye to the beginner and intermediate researcher.” If you want to participate in this year-long activity, read more about it at FINALLY Get Organized!

Here’s how I’ve completed this week’s tasks.

Task 1. “Rework the citations for documents and photos you've attached to the first four generations on your surname/maiden name individuals.”

I looked over my citations for the first four generations of my Belair line to make sure they were crafted in a “standard, consistent format” (as Myrt explains). I’m happy with the citations I have in those generations, because I used as my guide Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace, by Elizabeth Shown Mills (Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Company, 2007). However, I noticed that some documents don’t have citations, so I made a list of the ones that need them and will get to them in the next few days.

Task 2. “Refer to Citations available online at Elizabeth Shown Mills website.”

Done.

Task 3. “Read ESM's Quick Lesson 22: What Citation Template Do I Use?”

Done.

Task 4. “Download a copy of DearMYRTLE's What Does SHE Say? Study Group citation samples”.

I read the Google document with its citation examples, but didn’t download a copy. Whenever I create a new MS Word document for my genealogy files, say, one for descendants of a particular ancestor, I create at the same time a ‘style sheet’ for my citations. As I add a new citation to my genealogy document (like a baptism record found in the “Drouin Collection” at Ancestry.ca), I go to my style sheet and copy a baptism record example, paste it in my Word document, and then customize it with the appropriate details.

Task 5. “Explore citation templates in your genealogy software of choice.”

Done (in my software Family Tree Maker 2012).

EXTRA Credit. “Watch sessions 3 and 4 of the What Does SHE Say? Study Group”.

Will watch them during this week.

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.