Saturday, March 19, 2016

FINALLY Get Organized! 13th-19th Mar Checklist

FINALLY Get Organized graphic

Blogger DearMYRTLE wants to help genealogists get organized for 2016. She proposes a weekly set of tasks to help us achieve our goal. Ol’ Myrt explains that “Each week's post will feature options for paper and digitally-oriented genealogists, with an eye to the beginner and intermediate researcher.” If you want to participate in this year-long activity, read more about it at FINALLY Get Organized!  

Here’s how I’ve completed this week’s tasks.

Task 1. “Consider the differences between sources, information and evidence.”

What a timely task. I recently ordered my birth registration even though I have my baptism certificate and my short-form birth certificate. I blogged about the useful and interesting information contained in that document yesterday.

So, to answer Dear Myrtle’s question, “Are you drawing on the most original form of first-hand information?”, I can say “Yes”, because I now have the most original form of first-hand information – my birth registration. As a source, my birth registration is original, because it’s a “true photostatic print of a record”. The information it contains is primary, because my parents were the informants. Its evidence is direct, because it answers the questions of when and where I was born.

Task 2. “Organize your thoughts, "current thinking" as Cousin Russ calls it.”

A few years ago, I created a document titled “Ascendance en ligne agnatique d’Yvonne Belair (7 générations)” [Ancestry in agnatic line of Yvonne Belair (7 generations)]. I followed the process outlined on pages 374-384 of Traité de généalogie [Genealogy treatise], by René Jetté (Montréal: Les Presses de l’Université de Montréal, 1991) and compiled a “dossier d’enquête”. This inquiry file explained the steps I took to determine my agnatic lineage – in other words, how I proved my patrilineal ancestry. For someone with Quebec ancestors, the way to go about compiling one’s ancestry is by locating the marriage record – the “document de preuve” [the proof document] – of each successive generation. (Jetté, Traité de généalogie, 35)

Task 3. “Start planning your summer vacation.”

My roots are in eastern Canada (the provinces of Ontario and Quebec), and so far, my husband and I aren’t planning a summer vacation to that part of the country. Instead, I’m thinking of taking photographs of various places around our town to show the schools our son attended, our church, the places where we shop, our parks and other attractions, and more. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, but never did, so now might be the right time for such a project.

Task 4. “Paper-oriented genealogists need not be confused when filing papers.”

I file the way Dear Myrtle suggests: a woman’s photos and documents pre marriage are filed with her parents, while post marriage documents are files with her husband.

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.