Thursday, March 24, 2016

Treasure Chest Thursday: The Easter Hat

Straw hat

When my sister and I were little girls, our Mom maintained the tradition of buying new clothes for us to wear on Easter Sunday. Based on photographic evidence, not only did we wear a newly-bought dress, but new shoes, purse, gloves and hat.

I have only one of those hats from my childhood, the one in the above photo. I’m not sure why that particular hat made it to the present time while others didn’t, but I’m glad it did, because it’s such a pretty item from my childhood.

I assume that I was about 5 to 8 years old (in the mid-1960s) when I wore it, so the hat is about 50 – 53 years old.

It measures about 8.5 cm (3½”) tall by 21 cm (8¼ “) wide.

The round-shaped hat is made of woven straw, my favorite material for hats and purses. I’m not sure if the hat was originally cream colour or if it mellowed to that shade over the years.

A wide ivory grosgrain ribbon encircles the crown of the hat, while a bow of the same material with a metal buckle accent the upturned brim.

Mom probably bought my hat at one of the two places she usually shopped for my sister and I: at Bucovetsky’s department store in our hometown of Timmins, Ontario, or through the Sears or Eaton’s catalogue.

There’s no manufacturer tag on the inside.

The hat is in really good shape, although the crown is indented, the brim is slightly dented on the side, and there are a couple of tiny spots on the hatband ribbon.

I’m so happy that I still have my Easter hat.

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Easter Hat!!! So cute. I don't have any of these clothing items, mine were all things from High School. To see something such a young age. How priceless!

    ReplyDelete

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.