Saturday, April 02, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Three Ancestry Questions

It’s Saturday, and Randy over at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge to his readers.

Tonight’s challenge is “Three Ancestry Questions”.

The first part of the assignment is to determine:

* What four places did my ancestors live that are geographically the farthest from where I live today?
* What are the four most unusual given names in my family tree?
* What are the four most common given names in my family tree?

Then, “answer each of the questions based on your own ancestors, not the collateral lines” [and then] “share your answers with us in a blog post of your own, in a comment to this post, in a Facebook post or a Google+ post.”

Here are my answers:

1. What four places did my ancestors live that are geographically the farthest from where I live today?

• England, Gloucestershire (Bedford and Taylor ancestors)
• Italy, Piedmont (Lesage dit Le Piedmontois ancestor)
• Spain, Castile (Robidou dit L’Espagnol ancestor)
• Switzerland, city of Geneva and cantons of Fribourg and Lucerne (Badel dit Lamarche, Miville dit Le Suisse and Rosen (Larose) ancestors)

2. What are the four most unusual given names in my family tree?

• Toussaint Laronde (ca 1783-?)
• Ménésippe Belair (1889-1991)
• Scholastique St-Michel (1797-1864)
• Reine Poirier (1806-1892)

3. What are the four most common given names in my family tree?

Back in 2013, I did a survey of the frequency of first names in the 2nd through 7th generations among my ancestors. (My ancestor list is in a Microsoft Word document.) The results were:

• Joseph and Pierre (tie) (20)
• Marguerite and Marie (tie) (10)

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.