Saturday, May 21, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Your Genealogy Life

It’s Saturday, and Randy over at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge to his readers.

Tonight’s challenge is “Your Genealogy Life”. Randy asks us to:

1) Tell us about your "genealogy life." How much genealogy and family history work do you do, on average, each week? What tasks do you routinely perform every day, every month, every year?
2) Share your genealogy life in your own blog post, in a comment to this post, or on Facebook or google+.

Here’s what my genealogy life looks like.

During the week, I spend about 8-10 hours daily on genealogy. For example, I

• read genealogy blogs;
• research and write articles for my blog;
• sort and file paperwork;
• scan and identify family photos and documents;
• read genealogy magazines (like Family Tree Magazine) and membership publications (I belong to three Canadian genealogical societies);
• research my ancestry and those of my relatives;
• standardize and add citation sources to my ancestry databases (in MS Word);
• post to and read updates on favorite groups in Facebook;
• watch webinars (like those at Legacy Family Tree) and weekly hangouts (like Mondays with Myrt).

I attend genealogy seminars in the Lower Mainland (hosted by the LDS in Abbotsford in the spring and in Surrey in the fall) and in the Okanagan (hosted every two years by the KDGS in Kelowna in September). I like to listen to live-streamed sessions of yearly genealogy conferences like RootsTech, NGS and SCGS Jamboree.

Now and then, I research at public libraries that have large genealogical collections like the Cloverdale branch of the Surrey Public Library and the Main branch of the Vancouver Public Library. Less often, I research at the Koerner Library at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver.

What does your genealogy life look like, dear readers?

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.