Wednesday, October 19, 2016

October Weekend Conference Report

Last weekend was good, genealogically speaking, for me, but not so good physically. My right elbow was sore for a couple of days before I left for greater Vancouver, but it wasn’t until the Friday evening that I realized the pain was due to tendinitis. I’m still not fully recovered, but at least the swelling has come down. For this reason, my conference report will be brief.

On Friday evening, the BC Genealogical Society featured Lesley Anderson from Ancestry.ca. She spoke for a little over an hour about “Ain’t I a Woman” – how to find our female ancestors in Ancestry’s many and varied databases. Lesley also gave examples of famous Canadian women in those records, like author Lucy Maud Montgomery.

It was one of the windiest and rainiest weekends we’ve had in British Columbia, but that didn’t stop a good-sized crowd of people from attending the “Finding Your Roots” seminar hosted by the Surrey, BC Family History Centre on Saturday. I registered for three sessions, but ducked out on the afternoon one because of my sore arm. My husband and I attended the first two classes, and then joined the other attendees for our pre-ordered lunch.

Award recipients

During the noon hour, four guest speakers, David Jackson, Dave Obee, Eunice Robinson, and Brenda Smith (above), received “Longstanding Service Awards” for their contributions as instructors to “Finding Your Roots”.

BCGS vendor booth

After the award ceremony, Michael and I browsed the vendor booths and displays. I bought a couple of discounted publications and then we headed home.

Copyright (c) 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

1 comment:

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.