Sunday, December 04, 2016

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun – Who Is Your MRUA?

It’s Saturday (actually, Sunday – I’m a bit late with this post), and Randy over at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge to his readers.

Tonight’s challenge is “Who Is Your MRUA?”.

Randy asks us to determine “Who is your MRUA - your Most Recent Unknown Ancestor?”, then to revisit our research if we haven’t done so recently, then see if there are online or offline resources that might help, and then finally to write about our answers in “a blog post, in a comment to this post, or in a comment on Facebook or Google Plus”.

Here are my answers:

1) Michel Frappier, no. 42 in my Ancestor List, is my Most Recent Unknown Ancestor (MRUA). The only thing I know for sure about him is that he married Louise Neveu, a Metis girl, on 31 January 1836 on Ile des Allumettes in Lower Canada, now the province of Quebec. I don’t know the identity of his parents (they aren’t mentioned in his marriage record) or of any family member (none is listed as witness or as present at the event).

2) I haven’t done any recent research on Michel. Based on past research, though, he might be the son of Michel Frappier and his wife Marie Anne Varry, who was born and baptized on 5 April 1797 in Boucherville, Chambly County, Quebec. Another possibility is that he is the son of Antoine Frappier dit St-Hilaire and his wife Marie Josephe Neveu dite Bagueville and that he was born and baptized on 7 June 1800 in St-Cuthbert, Berthier County, Quebec.

Michel likely died on 1 January 1860 and buried on 3 January 1860 in Chapeau, on Ile des Allumettes, Pontiac County, Quebec. His burial record doesn’t mention the name of his spouse (which would help to identify him), but does say that he was 66 years old (giving him an approximate year of birth of 1794). Additionally, “Olivier Venance”, who is presumably his son-in-law, is recorded as being present at the burial. Michel’s daughter Anne Isabelle (aka Elisabeth) Frappier (ca 1832-1909) married Olivier Vanasse on 20 April 1852 in Chapeau, so it appears that I have the correct burial record. (“Vanasse” is the original (Canadian) surname, while “Venance” is a variant.)

3) Since it’s been a couple of years that I’ve researched Michel, I looked at the Hudson’s Bay Company Archives in case it had updated its information, but I didn’t find Michel or any Frappier among the names in its employee biographical sheets. (I’ve lost my source, but I thought one of Michel’s aliases was “Michel Frappier dit le Voyageur”.)

One online source that might be of help in identifying Michel is another voyageur site: the Centre du Patrimoine of the Société historique de Saint-Boniface, the “largest centre for francophone archives west of Ottawa”. I searched its database for “Frappier” and got 43 results. Eight of those results are for a Michel Frappier, but they can’t all be for my ancestor. I know that Michel was born about 1796 (possibly 1797 or 1800), therefore, the early voyageur contracts of 1798, 1803, 1805, 1808, 1809, and 1811 are for another Michel Frappier, but the later contracts of 1814 and 1821 could be those of my ancestor or possibly those of another Michel Frappier.

4) I’ve written about my MRUA in my blog!

Copyright © 2016, Yvonne Demoskoff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.