Sunday, February 05, 2017

Off to RootsTech 2017!

airplane

By the time you read this article, I will either be in the air flying to Salt Lake City or already be there. My husband and I are joining thousands of genealogists and other enthusiasts at RootsTech 2017. We are very excited about this trip! It’s going to be three times the fun for us: our first time at RT, our first time in SLC, and our first time at the Family History Library – woohoo!

A trip to the Family History Library has been on my genealogical bucket list for years. I'm finally going to be able to cross item no. 3 off that list!

Michael and I arrive a few days early (today) so that we can spend Monday through part of Wednesday at FHL. On Wednesday afternoon, we walk over to the nearby Salt Palace to attend a couple of RT sessions, including one by Angela McGhie on “Using identity characteristics to locate ancestors”. The rest of the sessions, including the general ones where keynote speakers like LeVar Burton, Drew and Jonathan Scott, CeCe Moore, and Buddy Valastro, take place Thursday through Saturday.

In between the sessions on DNA, French records, photos, evidence, and more, there will also be time to let our hair down. There’s the informal Commonwealth gathering at a local restaurant, an evening performance of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, a RootsTech-sponsored 80s-themed party, and two after-parties!
amazed cat

As a first-timer to RootsTech, I’m sure that I’ll be amazed, astounded, and overwhelmed (too many superlatives?!) with the event. I might not post articles to my blog during the coming week, but I’ll try to submit photos. However, there are plenty of official bloggers (Ambassadors) that will cover in real time the conference, so be sure to keep a lookout for their posts.

Here’s hoping for a great week and for meeting up with lots of other genealogists!

Copyright © 2017, Yvonne Demoskoff.

1 comment:

Read This Before Leaving a Comment:

Please make sure your comments are on-topic and blog-focused.