It’s Saturday and Randy at Genea-Musings has issued his weekly challenge to his readers.
Tonight’s challenge is “The Day Your Grandfather Was Born”. Randy asks us the following questions (in bold).
1) What day of the week was your Grandfather born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
I chose my maternal grandfather Eugène Desgroseilliers, who was born on 30 August 1900 in the village of St-Charles, Sudbury District, Ontario, Canada. The 30th was a Thursday. (The website timeanddate.com is very useful at times like this one!)
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Grandfather's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
Five historical events that happened on 30 August (found at Wikipedia):
- 1464: Pope Paul II succeeds Pope Pius II as the 211th pope.
- 1835: Melbourne, Australia is founded.
- 1896: Philippine Revolution.
- 1918: Fanni Kaplan shoots and seriously injures Bolshevik leader Vladimir Lenin.
- 1945: Hong Kong is liberated from Japan by British Armed Forces.
3) What famous people have been born on your Grandfather's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
Five famous people born on 30 August (found at Wikipedia):
- 1334: Peter, King of Castile and León (r. 1350-1369).
- 1748: Jacques-Louis David, French painter and illustrator.
- 1896: Raymond Massey, Canadian-American actor and playwright.
- 1919: Maurice Hilleman, American microbiologist and vaccinologist.
- 1927: Geoffrey Beene, American fashion designer.
4) Put your responses in your own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.
My answers are here on my blog!
Copyright © 2017, Yvonne Demoskoff.