Tonight’s mission is to answer the following questions and then share our answers in our “own blog post, in a comment on this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook”.
1) What day of the week was your Grandfather born (either one)? Tell us how you found out.
2) What has happened in recorded history on your Grandfather's birth date (day and month)? Tell us how you found out, and list five events.
3) What famous people have been born on your Grandfather's birth date? Tell us how you found out, and list five of them.
I chose my paternal grandfather Fred Belair (1889-1991), younger son of Pierre Janvry dit Belair by his first wife Angélina Meunier. Fred was born on 26 November 1889 in the village of Ste-Cécile-de-Masham, Gatineau County, Quebec.
1) November 26 was a Tuesday. (I checked the day of the week at timeanddate.com)
2) Five events in recorded history that occurred on November 26 (found at Wikipedia):
• 1778: In the Hawaiian Islands, Captain James Cook becomes the first European to visit Maui.
• 1863: United States President Abraham Lincoln proclaims November 26 as a national Thanksgiving Day.
• 1917: The National Hockey League is formed, with the Montreal Canadiens, Montreal Wanderers, Ottawa Senators, Quebec Bulldogs, and Toronto Arenas as its first teams.
• 1922: Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon become the first people to enter the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamun in over 3000 years.
• 1942: Casablanca, the movie starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman, premieres in New York City.
3) Five famous people born on November 26 (found at Wikipedia):
• 1288: Go-Daigo, Japanese emperor (died 1339)
• 1607: John Harvard, English minister and philanthropist (died 1638)
• 1853: Bat Masterson, American police officer and journalist (died 1921)
• 1858: Katharine Drexel, American nun and saint (died 1955)
• 1869: Princess Maud of Wales, Queen consort of Norway (died 1938)
My answers are here on my blog!
Copyright © 2019, Yvonne Demoskoff.