Monday, June 22, 2015
Military Monday: My Carignan-Salières Regiment Ancestors
Thanks to Gail Dever of Genealogy à la Carte for bringing to her readers’ attention last week the 350th anniversary of the arrival of the Carignan-Salières regiment in New France (First of Régiment Carignan-Salières arrived 350 years ago today).
This famous regiment of 1200 men left France for Canada between June and September 1665 to “combat the Iroquois threat to the struggling colony of New France”. 
I have lines of descent from about 43 of those soldiers. (I haven’t finished adding details to my database, so there might be more.) At least two of those forty-three were part of the first four Companies (Chambly, Froment, La Tour and Petit) that sailed on Le Vieux Siméon and arrived in Quebec on 19 June 1665.  They are
Bernard De Niger (Deniger) dit Sanssoucy (ca 1627-before 25 Nov 1700) 
• Origin: archdiocese of Bordeaux, Guyenne, France
• Company: Froment
• Rank: Soldier
• Spouse: Marguerite Raisin (ca 1651-1700), a fille du Roi, who arrived in 1670. I have three lines of descent (all maternal) from Bernard and Marguerite.
Pierre Marsan (Merçan) dit Lapierre (ca 1626-between 1691 and 1693) 
• Origin: Rouen, Normandy, France
• Company: Chambly
• Rank: Sergeant
• Spouse: Françoise Baiselat (ca 1646-1694), a fille du Roi, who arrived in 1668. I have two lines of descent (paternal and maternal) from Pierre and Françoise.
Image credit: Wikipedia contributors, "Carignan-Salières Regiment," Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carignan-Sali%C3%A8res_Regiment : accessed 20 June 2015).
Photo Credit: “Reconstition régiment Carignan Sallierres au fort Chambly [sic]” by Richard Coté (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Carignan_Sallierres2.jpg : accessed 20 June 2015).
1. “Carignan-Salières Regiment Lineage Chart”, database, Acadian and French Canadian Genealogy (http://habitant.org/index.htm : accessed 20 June 2015).
2. “Regiment”, database, La Société des Filles du roi et soldats du Carignan, Inc. (http://www.fillesduroi.org/src/ships.htm : accessed 20 June 2015), “Regiment (Ships)”.
3. René Jetté, Dictionnaire généalogique des familles du Québec (Montréal: Les Presses de l’Université de Montréal, 1983), 775. Also, Peter J. Gagné, King’s Daughters and Founding Mothers: The Filles du Roi, 1663-1673, 2 vols. (Pawtucket, Rhode Island: Quintin Publications, 2001), 2: 481.
4. Jetté, Dictionnaire, 332. Also, Gagné, King’s Daughters and Founding Mothers, 1: 64.
Copyright (c) 2015, Yvonne Demoskoff.